Monday, June 04, 2007

It's Not You, It's Me

Having cleaned the cats' rooms over the weekend, I noticed how lucky those kitties are. Nevermind that I never cleaned my own room growing up, but here I am, cleaning the cats' rooms. The fact that they have a bedroom as "theirs" is crazy to most people. And then there's all their toys. Many children, especially in other countries, only hope to be as fortunate as our cats! In light of this revelation, I wonder if I am contributing to the environmental crisis. I think all Americans are, by default. The US is one of the largest consumers of energy and other resources. Compound that to us being one of the worst polluters and...there ya go.

What I find embarassing is that our president would like to have a summit of sorts with various countries and develop a plan to reduce pollution. That's great, really. However, my issue is that he is trying to limit India and China's pollution output. Sure, saving the environment is a gloabal issue, but who are we to impose limits and rules on other countries when we had our industrial revolution 100 years ago? Why do we have the right to limit other nations' industrial revolution?

No comments: