Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Ra

QE calls our youngest Caranator (like Terminator) since she leaves a path of violence and destruction. Apparently many cats get returned, even YEARS later. I still wonder if we're doing the right thing by keeping our little RaRa.

There's something about her that is so darn cute! We tend to forgive her antics because the sweet moments are so precious, it makes everything worthwhile. The way she grabs for treats, the way she looks around while laying flat on her back, the way she answers "noooo" when asked if she loves mommy.

I guess I equate our relationship with the cats to marriage. Well, theoretically anyway. We chose to create this relationship, so it only seems right to honor our commitment and endure "for better or for worse". There are a few instances where a divorce is necessary, like abuse or illegal activities, but there's nothing equivalent in the animal world. Those things don't spontaneously develop, so I wonder whether both parties entered the marriage with sound mind and judgment. Given the divorce rate, I have to think that most are for convenience. Being too young when married, growing apart, or just falling out of love are lame excuses. That is plain lack of effort, poor decision making, or a third party. Given the commonality of divorce, it's no surprise that disposing of animals doesn't even register to many people. Easy come, easy go. We can now dump off unwanted children at a hospital with no questions asked!

Cara seems content most of the time. I don't think the rescue tricked us into adopting her. I chose her. Her adoption photo was a bad-ass rebel cat--she's sitting behind a bookcase with a scowl on her face. Sigh...if only I didn't think it was cute or funny. But I did. And now I pay the price for it. Every. Single. Day. I keep waiting for that one day when Cara realizes she enjoys being loved and is glad to be sharing her life with us.

I have fallen for a handsome young fellow. His hindleg was recently amputated. He is a lovebug but we can't take him in because we already live in a war zone. Thanks a lot, CARA!

No comments: