Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cholesterol

QE's cholesterol dropped more than 60 points. No changes in lifestyle other than me "making" him vegetarian. Pretty cool, eh?

He sometimes eats meat but rarely in my presence. It doesn't bother me if he does, but I do wish he ate good, healthy meat that was treated humanely while living.

Apparently salvaged pet food gets fed to the animals raised for human consumption. If you think about it, it's really gross. Pet food is usually made with beef, chicken or turkey by-products like ears, hooves, beaks, organs, etc--all the stuff that can't be made into hot dogs or sausage. If the pet food is non-saleable, it gets sold to farms (if you can call them that) as food for cows, pigs and chickens. So...these animals are forced to be cannibals. Normally this isn't an issue, except that during the pet food scare last year, some tainted food was fed to animals that were then slaughtered for human consumption.

3 comments:

emily said...

Don't forget - they found diarrhea causing bacteria in ground beef recently.

goo2girl said...

Really!? I hadn't heard about that one. Sure, I miss Chipotle's steak. But I find not eating meat quite liberating. No more having to worry about using different cutting boards for meat and veggies, no more having to make sure no meat juices splattered around the sink or counters. We use our veggie sink for veggies now! Although, I have gotten quite anemic and dropped 50 pounds... :)

emily said...

DAMN!!! GO, you!!! I wish I had that kind of commitment!