Sunday, November 09, 2008

Green Festival


We went to the Green Festival yesterday. It was a lot of fun to see all types of products, services, and advocacy groups there. The highlight for me was meeting Dr. Marion Nestle (rhymes with "wrestle") and having her sign my books. As an academic, she doesn't seem to be as warm and fuzzy or as eloquent as Joel Salatin. Dr. Nestle has another book coming out next year about the conflicts of interest veterinarians may have in putting patients on prescription diets. Most of these foods are corn-based, the very ingredient causing ailments in animals, especially cats.

The festival had a great turnout, lots of awesome vendors (and freebies!), and lots of enthusiastic participants. I think my challenge next year will be to go vegan for a week, AND not have my diet consist primarily of processed, pre-packaged vegan food.

Our CSA is going fantabulously. I am enjoying the autumn share much more than summer. All the beautiful squashes, greens, and eggs are just amazing. Just don't put turnip greens in lasagna. We've also gotten different varieties of apples and pears. There's a semi-tart red apple that I really like. It's very crisp and not mealy at all. The skin isn't all red like red delicious. We got another variety that is just cute--perfect little red apples with a good flavor. It's neat to see apples without that waxy, shiny coating on it. I think they taste better too.

2 comments:

Bri said...

We've been picking our own apples all fall - I worry about the what the wee ones will eat when we're done picking. They've eaten their way through 32 pounds of apples in the last 10 days. 32 POUNDS! And you're right - they DO taste so much better fresh and real - aka not in a bag.

goo2girl said...

Wow, that's a lot of apples! But they are soooo good when freshly picked. I was never fond of fruit and rarely ate it until this darn CSA nonsense. Now I look forward to my fruit after lunch now.