Thursday, August 30, 2007

Big Bucks for Trouble

The "queen of mean" Leona Helmsley passed away recently and left $12M to her dog, Trouble. Many people are outraged that ensuring the care and lifestyle of a dog took precedence over the poor and needy, and over two of her grandchildren. Oh the horrors. Miss Mean gave money to two of her grandkids, but purposely excluded the other two (all from her late son).

My question is, since when are we entitled to the assets of our relatives? Sure, it would be nice if that rich uncle or miserly grandmother remembered us in their will. But do we have any "right" to that money? Since when did ol' Dad's money "belong" to us? Regardless of how someone acquired their wealth, THEY were the ones who earned it. Why should I be entitled to the fruits of their work? I won't have to face such issues since my family is far from wealthy and I certainly don't expect even a piece of china or heirloom necklace from anyone. Inheritances are gifts, and nobody owes me a gift. Ever.

Back to little Miss Trouble then...I personally think she deserves the money. I mean, who was by Leona's side every waking moment? Her grandchildren? Nephews and nieces? Personal assistant? Attorney? Trouble saw Leona's face without makeup and kissed her good morning anyway. She was the loyal companion through the good and the bad. Surely she misses her mom and was devoted to her, even if humans called her mom the queen of mean. Trouble's love for Leona was unconditional. If it helps her cope with losing her mom, then I say let Trouble maintain her extravagant lifestyle.

No comments: