Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Lesson in Microeconomics

I love all things associated with knitting. Why do tote bags need to cost so much just because it's classified as a "knitting" bag??? No matter. My current system (or lack thereof) works for me. My needles and patterns and books are a different story. I have at least one set of needles in all sizes from 0-15. QE picked out several baskets for all my loot a year or so ago and I argued against it, saying I didn't need multiple baskets. Well, I have managed to use all of the baskets and bought one more, larger than the previous ones. I hate it when he's right. Needle cases and "pattern organizers" cost a fortune. A case can cost between $20-$80 or more. Do companies think knitters are rich? That cost is not an object? Hellooooo!!!! There's an opportunity cost involved! Every dollar spent on "luxury" items is a dollar not spent on yarn. Besides, nobody will see my beautiful needle case since I wouldn't carry 20+ sets of needles with me.

The past weekend was a tax holiday on school supplies. I bought a 1-1/2 inch binder ($1.49) and a 50-pack of page protectors ($1.99?). I sorted and filed all of my patterns in the binder. Bam! Done for less than five bucks. That's $40+ I "saved" and can spend on yarn. Lovely.

1 comment:

emily said...

Good job! I didn't buy a thing this past weekend :(