Saturday, December 22, 2007

Motherhood

I am not legally a mother. I am not recognized as a mother on bs Hallmark holidays like Mother's Day. I am fine with that. Really. Being a cat mom is all I can handle, I think. Having met my precious piglet and seeing all that he needs, I am glad not to be mom to a human. Piglet is amazing. Watching him develop and evolve in the few days we were with him was remarkable. Piglet's ability to track time and demand feedings exactly every four hours is amusing and quite awesome. We could tell time without even looking at a clock! Despite his sweet smell and darling little clothes, his poopy diapers and smelly farts were enough to knock me over. Add his late night/early morning meals into the mix, and parenthood isn't for me. That's not to say I wouldn't walk to the ends of the earth for piglet (not even my kid!), but I would not willingly choose to devote the rest of my life to raising, caring and worrying about my child. Or dealing with a 30-year old child still living with me. Or providing daycare to a grandkid.

As caregiver to Angel, Davis and Cara, I think I've been a good mom to them. I would venture to say that I'm probably a better mom to my cats than some people are to their human children (how sad!). Feeding, providing shelter, and seeking medical care for my kitties are my duty. It's what I am supposed to do--it's what they are entitled to, as my dependents. I chose to assume responsibility for their well-being and their lives. Where I think my kids are lucky is how I am their advocate, their activist, their researcher, their personal fighter.

Angel is still sick. The thought that she's been suffering for two weeks is very upsetting to me. The good news is that her urine no longer looks like pure blood. The bad news is that she is still straining to pee and still has some pink in her urine. She has been on antibiotics for a few days now and while her condition has improved, she's still uncomfortable. That is not good enough. I researched her medications and prescription food earlier this week. (Part of me wants to believe that all parents of furry or human children would do this.) Her food is not for prolonged use. Angel's previous medication could affect kidney function with continued use. Her current medication can impair vision and damage her eyes with improper or prolonged use. Although our veterinary practice is superb, I don't think they are obligated to disclose all potential side effects or adverse reactions. This of course puts the burden on us parents to do the research and learn as much as we can, so we can ask the doctors the right questions.

I would like to think that all parents would do the same for their children, human or otherwise. Heck, if I do that for my kitties, parents BETTER do that for their human kids! Maybe I am one of "those" parents...the overbearing people who constantly call the doctor's office with questions or seeking advice, the ones who ask difficult questions or questions the treatment options. My thing is, if I don't demand the best care for my kids, who will? If I don't aggressively learn and research all I can about my kitties' conditions, who will tell me? It's unreasonable to expect a doctor to educate me on all the possible conditions or treatments. My job as their mom is to form a partnership with the doctors and fight their illnesses as a team. Unfortunately, with Angel, the doctors are puzzled by her condition. She's had the stones for years with no ill effects. Why now? You can bet the first call the practice receives after Christmas will be from me. Hopefully it will be a call to provide an update on Angel's significant improvement.

1 comment:

emily said...

How is she doing?