Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Naturally Raised Tail Docking

I am by no means an activist. I may contribute money to charities I feel strongly about, but it's rare. The only sure donation is to church. That said, there is something that has me really pissed. The government is trying to define meats that can be labeled "naturally raised". They want to leave it as meaning no hormones, no antibiotics, no mammal or avian by-products. That's a huge step. Really, it is. But as a consumer, I find the term misleading if that's all "naturally raised" means. I would assume and expect it to mean I am eating happy animals, grown in their natural environment--no cages, no feedlots, no piggies without tails, no turkeys or chickens without beaks. Cows would get to eat grass. Imagine that!!! A cow gets to eat its natural diet of grass and not corn or soy!

If you agree with me that "naturally raised" should mean more than no hormones, no by-products and no antibiotics, PLEASE take one minute of your time to share your thoughts. If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.regulations.gov/ and then do a comment search for "naturally raised". Although the name fields are mandatory and public, you can give just your initials. Thanks bunches. :) Comments are due by January 28.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocumentDetail&o=0900006480369411

No comments: