Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gettin Piggy With It

Blech. I bought bacon from Polyface a few weeks ago for QE. He decided to cook some up this morning. Oh.vomit. The stench of swine was so nasty I dry heaved. I don't care if QE or anyone eats piggies but the smell of pig cooking just stinks. Bacon, of all things, is supposed to smell nice. QE reports that although bacon is cured, it doesn't have the smoke flavor as store-bought stuff. He said it tasted as good, if not better, than the regular stuff. QE thought it was too salty but attributed to him not being a regular bacon eater. Even turkey bacon is a rare thing for him. He decided he will give away the rest of the bacon. I am glad. From this point forward I think our house will be a pig-free zone. Cooked pork is fine. I just can't stand the smell of it cooking.

Got my Wollmeise yesterday. Oh so pretty and soft. It smelled nice too. I still don't understand why it's so treasured. Maybe I have to knit it to appreciate it. (secret: I have another on the way!) I resumed work on my monkey. The head was too big for a project, so I decided to make the full doll. He's cute. Lots of seaming involved despite using dpns. Totally not enjoying making the hat for charity. The acrylic/nylon blend is splitty but soft. Maybe it's the pattern I hate. So freakin boring and dull. I am knitting it flat since that monkey's dpn work had me on dpn overload. At this rate, I really don't want to knit more than one hat. But it's for people in need, so I will try to squeeze a few more out. I might knit double-strand next time to make it go faster.

2 comments:

Bri said...

Hey! I didn't know you were knitting for charity! One place to check into (if you want to add to your charity list) is the local NICUs. A lot of the babies there are sadly abandoned or born to young moms without resources. Little hats were in high demand in there. We brought in all of ours for those babies when K was in in the NICU. His big noggin was too big for the newborn hats.

Just a thought!

goo2girl said...

I don't think it's a legitimate charity as much as a Raveler's dad who goes somewhere to fish every winter and the native people are extremely poor with little food or clothing. The hats, mittens, etc we knit will keep the fishermen and their families warm. I like the NICU idea though. Smaller hats, nicer yarns, and a great cause.