Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Feeling Good







George Michael is simply amazing. Last night's performance exceeded all expectations. Last night was the most special and memorable event in my life, second only to my wedding day. It started with the restaurant for our pre-concert dinner playing Listen Without Prejudice. Coincidence? QE encouraged me to buy way more concert swag than I ever would have if he wasn't there. He was no angel, egging me at every opportunity though. I made the mistake of sharing obscure George trivia with him and said "back in '88" at dinner. I don't think I'll ever live that down.

My throat is sore, voice hoarse. My legs are tired, my abs sore. QE dubbed me the human shrill because I screamed when nobody else did, screamed every time George did a signature dance move, screamed because he smiled, screamed when he spoke. OMG...George dances like he always has--not good by dancing standards but we love him unconditionally. George still has a great smile. Love the accent, love the dimples. He's so beautiful and comfortable in his own skin. He's got a great sense of humor too. He wore the cop outfit for Outside. I loved it.

As you can see from my photos, we had awesome seats. No photo manipulation there (not sure how to do it--ha!) We were exactly at the center of the stage. George took a drink and mopped his face after every song. He kept his jacket on the entire time and sweat actually soaked through. Crazy. I was drenched in sweat before the first song even finished. The collar on my shirt was still soaked two hours after the concert ended. Best time ever.

George performed some of my favorites that I wasn't expecting. Hard Day was awesome. One More Try was pretty much the anthem of my adolescence. My senior yearbook quote was from Kissing a Fool. George seemed to get a kick out of us true fans knowing every pause, every inflection, every nuance of his songs. What's funny is that George doesn't care about performing. He sees himself as a songwriter. He wants us to enjoy his songs long after he's gone. George has certainly touched my life. All of his songs bring back memories of my past, my history. George was a huge part of my life growing up. His music touched me, affected me, helped shape me. I played One More Try so much growing up my MOM knew the words. The kids I babysat in middle school looked for George videos on MTV--at age 2 and 4. I don't remember much of the music mix we compiled for our wedding and most of it didn't get played, I don't think. But Freedom 90 was blasted after most of our guests left. That's one of the few memories I have of our reception. We have an awesome photo of me and QE dancing to that song.

Last night was worth every dollar I spent for the concert and associated expenses. QE might beg to differ though. But if George never performs again, I would still be happy to have experienced such a perfect 'goodbye tour'. I've always been open about George being the #1 man in my life (til I met QE). All the stupid boys I wasted time with knew that. Tolerating George Michael music and accepting that I was a big George fan was part of the deal. I could go on forever but if you've read this far, you've probably experienced enough pain for a week.
George Michael Forever.

Set list according to GeorgeMichael.com:

First Half

Waiting (Reprise)
Fast Love/I'm Your Man
Father Figure
Hard Day
Everything She Wants
One More Try
Different Corner--he did NOT perform this! My favorite of all time!
Easier Affair
Too Funky
Star People

Interval
John & Elvis video

Second Half

Faith
Spinning The Wheel
Feeling Good
Roxanne
Kissing A Fool
Amazing
Flawless
Outside

Encore #1--Careless Whisper

Encore #2--Freedom 90, Freedom Reprise

1 comment:

emily said...

HAHA!!! Glad it was a good time!