Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Rangers, Chicks, and Loyalty

QE put the kids in their room last night, thinking the doorbell and strangers at the door would scare them. The doorbell rang twice. Once (before I got home) for two young kids, a Power Ranger and a baby chick. The time it rang while I was home was a woman who was trying to get signatures and donations on a petition. Sneaky and conniving, going door to door on Halloween, knowing people would open their doors.

Good thing we didn't buy a lot of candy. I didn't think we'd get many visitors. We live on a hill and away from the center of the community, so from a kid's perspective (at least the smart ones), our street wouldn't be worth the effort. What really surprised me is that most of the homes on our street were fairly dark and unwelcoming. And they're the ones with kids themselves!

I spent all night doing work. When I let the kids out at 9:00, both loyally hung out in the office and kept me company. I went downstairs once for a drink of water and both trailed right behind me. Going back up to continue working, the kitties followed me back up. QE got jealous of my entourage. :) Those kitties are so darn cute and sweet. We really couldn't ask for better kids. Our four-legged children are a true blessing. In fact, I think Davis was a gift from God. A way for Him to let us know He loves us.

We adopted Davis the week before Thanksgiving 2002. He was sick and skinny. Those of you who have met Buddy know he's a big-framed cat. Long, lanky and lean. He weighed less than 10 pounds when we picked him up from the shelter. Crazy! With much love and nourishment, Davis gained some weight and shared Thanksgiving with us. Our new house felt like home with Davis in the family. Fast forward to Christmas 2005...we're living with my folks waiting for our new house to be built. Davis manages to go outside. We spent hours looking for him to no avail. Crying and heartbroken, I finally gave up after 11:00 p.m. Right before I went to bed, he stood outside crying. My boy was back. The best Christmas present ever. God answered my prayers.

No comments: