Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Diamond in the Rough

I was waiting at the train station as usual, before daybreak. As I was knitting, I thought I heard an unusual sound. Hm, no matter. Back to knitting. Next thing I know, there's something furry rubbing against my legs and a loud "ra-ow!". Sitting before me was a black and white kitty with green eyes. Raow! We started talking. What are you doing here? Raow! Shouldn't you be afraid of humans? Not all humans are nice, you know. Raow! Raow! I put my knitting in my bag and my bag on the ground. She immediately went to my bag, got on her hind legs and peeked in my bag. My, aren't we brave and outgoing. I brought salmon for lunch and thought maybe she smelled it. I shared a bit of my salmon, some crackers and some cheese with her. Gem wasn't interested in any of it. All she wanted was attention. She kept raowing and rubbing against everyone, in hopes of getting attention and affection. Some mean woman goes Ugh, I hate cats. So I did kissy noises and sure enough, Gem came. She comes when called!!!! Our kids don't even do that!!! I told Gem again that she needs to be careful. She is so outgoing and trusting. I am concerned for her well-being and safety. Hopefully people who don't like cats will ignore her and not kick her or anything. I picked her up. Yup, she let me pick her up. As QE eagerly pointed out, "someone" we've been with for almost four years still won't let us pick him up. Gem looked right into my eyes and headbutted me endlessly. She showed us her belly. White belly with black markings. She was relentless in her affection. Train was coming. I scooped her up again and carried her to a grassy patch where I gave her a few last words about being careful and I hope to see her again. She sat there as the train arrived and people boarded. I kept looking back at her and she sat there, watching. One guy got off the train and headed towards her (the bike rack) and she immediately tried to befriend him. As much as I could see, he ignored her. I really hope someone takes her in. She's too friendly and outgoing to be exposed to all the evils of the world. QE said we can't keep her. She has cute little white paws, black legs, and I think an extra finger on her paw. Adorable. I will happily sponsor Gem and get her initial vet stuff done if someone would give her a loving home. She's such a sweetie. Gem the lovebug. I can't stop thinking about her and her little raow. Maybe if she's there tonight I'll bring her home. It has to be fate, right?

2 comments:

emily said...

I love how you even named her already. LOL!!! Do you think she's an outdoor cat? Maybe just wandering around? Or like the dog (Hachiko) from Japan who loyally waited for his master until death?

http://metropolis.co.jp/biginjapanarchive349/303/biginjapaninc.htm

goo2girl said...

I hope she has a family. She's too sweet not to. And she's not super skinny. Most homeless kitties are very trim. She's got muscle. And she wasn't hungry, but there's someone who feeds the strays in the train parking lot. But Gem doesn't have a collar, so it's hard to say if she's microchipped. I really want to keep her. I know she doesn't love me specifically--she's just a loving cat. Too loving, if that's possible.