Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pot(ter) Head

I did not camp out until 12:01 a.m. Saturday morning to get my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I did, however reserve my copy at Borders in advance and picked it up Saturday morning. The store opened one hour early in anticipation of the demand. It was a good thing I ordered a copy because they did not have a single copy available unless it was reserved. I think this didn't necessarily mean they sold out, but were saving all copies for pre-orders and releasing any excess to the general public. How nice, yes?

I agonized about going Friday night in hopes of getting the 3-foot poster Borders had "while supplies last" but decided it wasn't worth it to spend several hours in a confined store infested with kids of all ages. I'm sure most of the kids were fine, but there are always a handful of mongrels who would run, scream and otherwise forget stores were not playgrounds. So instead, we picked up my book the following morning. And there were still posters available! Yay! They probably had about 50 left, so us early birds got the goods!

I finished the book in about 12 hours including breaks and distractions such as eating and the loo. :) Oh wow. The book was so much better than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams. There were quite a few deaths, as expected. This book was definitely for a more mature audience, as Ms. Rowling had noted that she expected her audience to have grown up with Harry. Hallows explained so much about the previous books, even when we thought each book had wrapped up nicely. I think I will read it again just for kicks, now that I know how the story ends.

Hopefully Idaho Girl got the book over the weekend so we can be Potterheads together and dish about the book. I never properly introduced him, so here goes. Yes, HIM. IG is a guy at work and we are the sole pathetic souls trapped in our windowless prison cells. Everyone else at work has a window office except us, even though there are at least two vacant window offices available. IG is Idaho Girl because he's cool like that. hahahaha Actually, his friend is away for the summer and let him use her car. Her license plate is Idaho Girl and that's what I've been calling him since. :)

1 comment:

emily said...

Glad to hear about the book! I pre-ordered through Amazon because I felt the price was good and because of the free shipping. I got an email saying "you won't get it on the 21st unless you upgrade to regular shipping." But I didn't care when I got it, so I didn't upgrade. Sure enough, it arrived on the 21st even without the upgrade. I haven't even cracked it open - that's how busy the weekend has been!