Friday, February 22, 2008

Conflicted Hippie

I've turned my back on the Humane Society. Their emails asking me to voice my opinions on baby seal clubbing, cockfighting, and cow slaughtering are too upsetting. Yes, I am a wimp. The pictures are not graphic but I still get very sad and upset. The last straw was a header on an email about boycotting Canadian seafood because the fisherman spend the off-season hunting and usually clubbing baby seals for fur. I didn't need to see a seal on the snow looking up at the human with a pole held over his head about to strike the seal. So, I've opted out of emails from the Humane Society. While I'm grateful and glad for all the work they do, I can only support them on my terms--these emails are unbearable for me. I know I can't pretend to be an ostrich and stick my head in the sand. But that's how I'm dealing right now...it's all I can handle.

I am expecting a shipment from Liz Lovely today. Who knew vegan cookies could taste so good?! It's actually amazing how yummy the ginger ones were. I wouldn't have known they were vegan in a blind taste test. The best part is that all the ingredients are "normal" stuff that can be found in a home baker's pantry. Okay, maybe not the palm fruit oil, but I've never tried looking for it at Whole Foods, so that could be a normal ingredient too.

After being ignored for several weeks (probably more like a month+), I am assembling my knitted cat. I've also finished my wrap using Fisherman. Still working on the kangaroo. I am dreading all the sewing.

1 comment:

Cowboy Dan said...

Thanks for the Liz Lovely plug. Liz and I really appreciate it. For the record, Organic Palm Fruit Oil is sold under the name "Spectrum Shortening" (with nothing else added) in the grocery aisle of most natural food markets. It's great for baking. And, Spectrum is working hard with their supplier to make it even more sustainable from a labor and environmental perspective. Just thought I'd fill that gap in for ya. All the best... -Dan