Saturday, February 16, 2008

Just a Phase?

Went to Whole Foods today. Maybe we are deprived, but we have fun at Whole Foods. We enjoy the experience. I think it's because we go to the newer, bigger (and farther away) store that has lots of pretty service counters and a big eating area. Whole Foods shoppers are clearly divided into two types: the snooty "how DARE lowlifes like you shop here at MY store" and the hippie "I am me, take it or leave it". What's weird is that the Springfield shoppers tend to fall in the former category. The Old Town store is evenly split, with the former kind mostly women who screech through the aisles plowing over anyone in their way. Hope you don't drive the way you shop, bitch. We didn't buy much but our receipt leads us to believe we bought enough groceries to feed a family of 8 for a week. Oh, TJs and Harris Teeter tote bags are also made in China. I don't understand it. Are we shipping recycled materials there to manufacture the bags too? WF now has a new (cool spring looking) bags made from recycled plastic water bottles. I couldn't find a tag in it. But if it is also made in China, are we shipping water bottles there? The Chinese can't possibly produce enough bottles, right?

QE and I have a date on May 16. Polyface farm tour! I am so excited to see piggies, chickens, and cows again.

We bought some eggs at Whole Foods. I went to the Animal Welfare Institute site to see if it was their label on our carton and found this. My skepticism about "cage-free" eggs was right! I also found the comparison grid of various terms and labels. What's interesting is that the Humane Farm Animal Care group have their own comparisons. This is the label on our eggs. I can't determine if one seal is better than the other.

My vegetarianism was questioned again this week. It was strictly out of curiosity, but I always feel like I am some weirdo who is way too compassionate towards animals. I know animals serve their purpose as our food. I just feel guilty about the way my species treats others prior to their arrival on our dinner plates. We gave some frozen chicken breasts to dad today but kept our Polyface meat. So clearly, I do intend to eat clean meat. Two big steaks are waiting to be grilled. QE doesn't think I will be capable of eating meat. Maybe he's right. I am a little scared, actually. :) Dad is convinced that I'm just in another one of my phases.

The past two Fridays, I've had panic attacks during the day. CRAP! It's Friday! Did I eat any meat today?! Dang it! Argh! Gyah! Darn it!! CRAP!! Quick, what have I eaten today?? Any meat? It's Friday!!! Oh, wait. I'm vegetarian. Whew. Sigh of relief. No joke. This is what I've freaked about two weeks in a row.

2 comments:

emily said...

I'm wondering if it's the store as much as it is the location of the store? This weekend, we did both WF and TJs. We had no issues at WF except for the snooty woman checking out nearby who could not shut up about going to Colorado all the time. She was talking to the check out guy. Later, we went to TJs. OMG. People irritated the hell out of me. These were not snoots. These were not hippies. These were suburban folks trying so desperately hard to be urban snoots. I was shoved, people would step in front of me as I was looking at something. It was awful. I think people in general with their lack of courtesy and their me-centricness have made me more anti-social. I was not expecting this at TJs, though. They may be snoots at WF, but at least they left me the F alone.

goo2girl said...

LOL Urban snoot wannabes!