Sunday, February 24, 2008

She had me at hello

On Tuesday, February 26, we will celebrate seven years with Angel. How time flies! I wanted to post something on the actual date, but thought she deserved my full attention. A princess and diva would expect nothing less!

Some of you might already know that we went to the adoption fair to see another cat, Madeline. In the corner, an adorable blue-eyed girl kept crying and crying until someone took her out of her carrier. QE and I looked at several boys and girls, but this one kept crying this pitiful "get me out of here!!!" cry. We paid her some attention to console her and she loved it. QE fell in love with her paws. I sensed another couple looking at her. I quickly told the lady we wanted her. After a few reference checks, I brought Angel home.

In the beginning, we thought of Angel as a "pet". As she became more comfortable and realized she was at her forever home, Angel slowly trained us to meet her expectations. We used to sleep in our bedroom with the door closed. Angel cried endlessly at being left alone and headbutted the door. We finally kept our door open and welcomed her to come and go as she pleased. She marched into our room at dawn and would lay on me as I slept, waiting to be petted. Ok, I woke up on demand to pet her. Fast forward seven years and Princess Angel sleeps where she wants, especially our lap, without regard for our need to go potty, sleep, or anything else.

Angel taught me about selfless love and devotion. I had no idea I was capable of loving someone other than my spouse and family with that unconditional, protective, I'll-do-anything-for-you love. Maybe that's why I think of my kitties as my children. I'm pretty sure I love them the way human parents love their offspring. I first realized that Angel loved me back when QE and I were talking about her first hospital stay. I started crying at the thought my beloved Angel would be in a cage. In addition to being away from me for several days, my princess would be in a metal box! I was inconsolable. Angel walked into our room and started to cry a weird cry that we'd never heard before. She then walked to me, looked up, and started a sad meow. She let me cry on her shoulder until I was okay again, purring the whole time. Now, every time I cry, Angel and Davis come to console me. It's impossible to cry for long when my heart healers come. :)

We've been through so much with Angel. Her urinary/bladder issues have plagued us off and on from day one. We've been through two house moves and two stays with my folks with Angel. She's tolerated two pesky siblings invading her house and stealing her human servants. She's put up with our lack of parenting skills and absolutely cluelessness about how cats are superior. Angel is the perfect cat. QE and I foolishly thought all cats were so easygoing and sweet. She tricked us into adopting Davis, who couldn't be more different. Ok, so not all cats are like Angel--our mistake. She then led us to believe Siamese cats were a paw above those "other kinds". Siamese are vocal, loving, smart, and loyal. We adopted Cara thinking she would be a mini-Angel. Hooo-boy, were we wrong. Through it all, Angel remained a cutie-pie who loved us and forgave us for ruining her peaceful life.

Angel loves watching water go down drains. Once, the bathtub was draining after my bath. She was walking along the tiled ledge of the tub when I playfully nudged her. "Angel, mommy is going to push you in!!!" She kept walking even as I was pushing her! "As if, mom. I know you would never do it." QE was amazed at how much Angel trusted me.

I tell Angel every day that she's my best friend and that I need her, that she can't ever leave me. Angel is my first animal other than fish. I have no idea how to deal with loss and I hope (unrealistically) that I never have to. Just the thought of Angel not being with me brings me to tears. I can't go on vacation without thinking of her, missing her, or calling about her. How did a cat who came so close to death become so treasured? (Her brother/littermate Tigger was put down by their evil human before he could be rescued) Did I save Angel or did she save me? A cat who was supposed to be a "pet" became my daughter, my precious princess, my diva boss, my little best friend.

3 comments:

Bri said...

I think its amazing that you have this kind of relationship with Angel. :) She's a lucky cat to be loved so deeply.

goo2girl said...

Most people think I'm crazy. :) It's ok though. We know we are lucky that she puts up with our nonsense. Angel is the undisputed boss and head of household.

emily said...

I think you are crazy regardless. I thought you were crazy before Angel, and I think you are crazy now. Stop trying to blame it on the kitties.