Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cowboys and Angels

Watched King Corn last night. Really enjoyed it. My food hero Michael Pollan was interviewed too. The documentary was a really good summary of Omnivore's Dilemma. We learned that many Iowa farmers are in the farming business not because they actually profit from farming (they don't). They make money from government subsidies. They showed a Colorado CAFO (feedlot). I have to be honest and say that the CAFO shown didn't have poop-crusted cows. It was run by a little guy and not some big conglomerate. And I assume that any gruesome operation wouldn't have agreed to be filmed, and that the CAFO shown probably cleaned up the place since it wasn't a surprise visit. So I still don't believe CAFO cows are happy cows. What surprised me what that somebody said that a good cut of steak (I forget which part) from a grain-fed cow has 9 grams of saturated fat. The same cut from a pastured cow has 1.5 grams of saturated fat. CAFO cows get fat because their movement is restricted to a pen. King Corn will air again on PBS next week I think. Check it out.

I finally figured out why my Cinderella sock looks weird. I wasn't getting the pattern. Gyah. Will rip most of it out tonight. LOVE the Koigu Kersti yarn.

4 comments:

Bri said...

I know quite a bit about the farming/ranching subsidies if you're curious. I come from a long line of ranchers (wheat and cows). The wheat land has been fallow for almost a decade - we're talking THOUSANDS of acres. Why? Because the gov't subsidy NOT to farm it earns more than selling the wheat. This next year will be the first year they plant it in a long time because the price of wheat is actually higher than the subsidy. Interesting that so many people are paid more not to farm land than to farm it in a time where basic foodstuff is getting scarily expensive...

emily said...

Bri! I didn't know that about you? :)

We have King Corn on our Netflix queue...I think it says it comes out on the 29th, so we'll wait until then. Have some movies to get through.

Also - love the Koigu as well! I was only winding the ball last night, and it felt so nice!

goo2girl said...

They mentioned that in the movie! Apparently the gov't used to pay corn farmers not to plant as much corn. Now, the gov't is trying to find more ways to use corn, hence HFCS and feeding livestock corn. Wonder why the gov't is trying to decrease the supply of wheat. Any ideas? I would love to get a lesson about farming/ranching when you have time, Bri!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.