Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Borrowing a Cat

Dad called on Sunday asking for a favor. I cautiously said yes, wondering what he could possibly need from us. He asked to borrow a cat. As an overprotective mother, my mind started racing...experiments? showing my cat off? lonliness? to entertain children guests? Dad was only kidding about borrowing one of my kitties and I was relieved. He has a weird way of starting conversations! He had some unwanted houseguests, as in little mousies. Three mice.

He managed to catch one using those Tom and Jerry mouse traps. Dad said the mouse's head got caught and made a mess. Yuck. The other mice managed to eat his bait food and left the traps unsprung. He was amsued at the intelligence of his intruders. "They must have seen the fate of their friend and learned not to make the same mistake!"

I called Dad last night to see how things were going. He caught the other two with peanuts on sticky paper traps. Dad was laughing while describing how one got caught...apparently the little mousie sniffed all around the paper very cautiously and finally decided it was ok to eat the peanuts. Whoops! A whisker got caught on the paper! Dad said the mouse used his paw to wipe his face and d'oh! Now the paw was stuck too. Dad watched as the mouse managed to get his entire body stuck on the paper. The next morning, Dad found the third mouse also stuck.

I wholeheartedly agree that none of us want mice or other critters living in our homes. But is it necessary to kill them? Why can't we trap them and release them outside and plug up their entryways? I know it's unrealistic but in my dream world, that's what would happen. Am I crazy for feeling a bit sad and guilty about my dad's actions? Dad seemed quite amused by the whole thing and wasn't malicious about killing them. But...poor little mousies!!!!

The funniest part has to be when Mom told Dad that she couldn't sleep the night after Dad trapped the first mouse. She was afraid the others would find her and bite her toes while she slept. This is especially funny if you know my mom and her pack rat ways.

1 comment:

emily said...

Over 20 years ago in the Philippines, a rat ran by, and my uncle simply slammed on it with his flip-flopped foot as if it were a roach. Clearly, it has disturbed me, if I remember it to this day. So, no I don't think you are weird, but at the same time - what else can you do? We hired people to fix our attic so that squirrels stop coming in and destroying our home. That cost a buttload.