Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Turkey Ran Away...

A turkey ran away
Before Thanksgiving Day,
He said, "They'll make a roast out of me
If I shall stay"

That's a little song I learned in elementary school and it's tradition for me to make QE sing it every year. :) There are other verses for the cranberry and pumpkin too.

Well, I had my tofurky. The gravy included in the box looked nasty compared to the one I made from scratch. The tofurky itself had a nice flavor but I didn't care for the texture. It was too processed for my liking. It was firm "like a really firm tofu" according to QE. It reminded me of bologna. Again, the flavor was good, the texture was just too processed. At least now I can say I tried it. Surprisingly, nobody commented on my vegetarianism. I was shocked but also glad. Now if only I can get those freaks at work to quit commenting about it every day.

Menu
Herb roasted free-range turkey
Tofurky
Corn pudding
Mashed potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes with ginger
Stuffing
Simple green beans
Pumpkin pie
Pecan chocolate espresso pie

Everyone liked my cooking. Babymomma was envious of our kitchen, which made me a bit uncomfortable. She also doesn't know how to cook and commented that she felt like she was watching the Food Network as I finished up the meal. Awkward. But I guess I'm also proud that she would rate my skills on par with tv chefs. Cara enjoyed the turkey and I think she ate all three plates. Davis was too preoccupied with the guests (weird for our shy boy) and Angel only wanted to sleep.

Overall things went way better than I expected. QE's nephew is a very picky eater and didn't touch any of the sides. He only ate turkey. At least the boy got his protein. And he commented on how juicy it was! MAJOR compliment coming from the pickiest eater ever!! :) My favorite moment has to be when he took a bite of pumpkin pie and made the most vomit face ever. It was hilarious. His face lit up when I offered him ice cream instead. This was major progress for him. At least he tried everything. His mother kept debating with him that the food WAS tasty even if he said it was gross. I think she would be better off encouraging him to take one bite out of everything he's served. If he doesn't like it, fine. At least he tasted it. Just an opinion from a non-mother.

Highlight of the afternoon has to be when the kid freaked and panicked when Cara and Davis fought. He is allergic to cats but seems to also use that as an excuse to be afraid of them in a drama queen kind of way. So the kitties were screaming and hissing (ah...the holidays....) and the poor boy leaped off the floor and scrambled to the sofa with a sheer look of horror on his face. OMG...hilarious. He was being overly dramatic, but I think there was real fear in there too.

1 comment:

emily said...

So glad everything went well!