Friday, November 09, 2007

Life Truths

Santa does not exist. He may have lived long ago, but he's dead now.

The truth hurts. Maybe that's why we are prone to lash out at those who speak the truth. Frap and I had a loving moment (it was, really!) a few weeks ago about how most of us don't want to hear the truth and don't react well when others point it out. Yes, your kid really IS ugly! Yes, the dress does make you look fat, dear. My, you've gained weight since last time I saw you! Yup, you are going bald, big man.

Every year, the holidays are a mixed bag for me and unfortunately, frap bears the brunt of my anger, frustration and hostility. I love that friends and families get together (in theory). In reality, schedules need to be shuffled around, family drama and gossip prevails, and getting stiffed by family at Christmas gift exchanges is the norm. The thing is, I know all of these things will happen. So why do I allow myself to get all worked up? I think it's partly because we are the couple perceived as making big bucks (HA!) and therefore should spend (on their freeloading asses) like money is going out of style. Maybe they forget that we paid out of pocket for QE's master's degree. Maybe they forget that I commute 3.5+ hours a day to and from work. Or that I still wear clothes I've owned since before I met QE 12 years ago. And I don't mean raggedy t-shirts but work clothes and casual wear.

Do I feel a sense of entitlement to spend our hard earnings on "luxury" items for ourselves? Yes, I do. But I view my luxuries as reward for waking up at 4:50 every morning and being out of the house before most people are out of bed. And I don't get home until most families have already had dinner and given the kids their baths. I am totally fine with this, really. What annoys me are the snarky comments about how nice our house is and what a waste it is for "just the two of you." As if we don't deserve it because we don't have kids to help us occupy the space? How dare we give cats(!) their own bedrooms! Oh the horrors!! Children are starving in this country and our cats have their own bedrooms! Where is the justice in this country??? We chose the commuter, child-free lifestyle and accept the good and bad aspects of it. Stay tuned for the next episode...why you don't deserve to benefit from my death.

2 comments:

emily said...

Everyone should be entitled to do whatever they want with their hard earned money. I don't blame you - I wouldn't want to be judged either, and I'm sure it's hard to hear all that stuff...esp from family. Taking the high road and ignoring the remarks - even tougher. Hang tough. (lol does that make you think of NKOTB?)

goo2girl said...

I'll be loving you forever. LMAO