Monday, July 10, 2006

Prairie Dogs

As a cat-mom and now rural-esque resident, it's pretty clear that I love animals. Some would say I love animals too much. Because of our area's more woodsy environment, we have lots of cool "neighbors". Deer being super-awsome cool to watch. I see lots of cool birds I've never seen before, include one that was yellow and black. I also see cute little groundhogs. They define cute like no other little critter. They live on a golf course by my house. And I loooove seeing them on my drive home from work. I asked a question on a chat recently and got the following answer.

Groundhog alert! Groundhog alert! In the last three years the golf course has trapped 250 groundhogs (for that is what they are). They are taken over to the other side of I-95 and released. "We give them a 50-50 chance if they want to come back," said xxxx, the golf course's head of maintenance. (I guess that means they have to brave the interstate.)
So now you know!


I can't decide how I feel about that. What if they leave their families behind on the golf course? I wonder if they do go back though. They are adorable regardless. As I gaze across the course, I see little brown lumps scattered throughout. They have the cutest faces too.

3 comments:

emily said...

What if they try to come back and get squished?!

That reminds me...you see these cute, loveable creatures - we saw a buzzard looking bird on the side of the road yesterday. Seriously, it was the meanest, ugliest looking bird, pecking at road kill. Gave me the heebie jeebies.

goo2girl said...

I don't think the golf course cares if the cuties get squished. They probably see it as part of nature. The relo spot is actually a park/forest, so maybe the groundhogs are happier there. They really are cute. Look just like prairie dogs! They stand up on their hind legs too.

There are some ugly vulture birds out there. Blech. I see big white elegent egrets on my commute. Took my breath away the first time I saw.

rp77 said...

hi goo! you should take pictures of them!!!